If you have ever found yourself in a lockout situation, you know how stressful and embarrassing it can be, especially if you don’t have the contact information of a dependable locksmith. Having a reliable locksmith is crucial when it comes to ensuring the security of your home or vehicle. These technicians have the right tools, knowledge, and expertise to get you out of any unexpected situation without breaking the bank.
However, some lock fanatics play smart. At first, they quote you a price that you’ll find surprisingly affordable, say around $30 to $50 per lock, excluding the service charges. But when they arrive at your place, they claim that the job is more difficult than what they have expected and will cost you more than the advertised price, thus leaving you stunned and disheartened. After dealing with the embarrassment of locking yourself out, the last thing you want to run into is an unfair locksmith.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Keep in mind that a locksmith’s fee covers the cost of licensing, the emergency service provided, transportation, tools, insurance, and other job-related expenses. Considering this, it is impossible for any reputable locksmith to charge only $30 or $40 per picked lock, as it would cost them their job. There might be a possibility that the locksmith who claims to provide quality services at unbelievably low prices is a con-artist, who is just looking for ways to make quick money.
- In order to avoid future surprises, it is advised that you ask for a fair estimate on the phone before hiring any locksmith. The reason being that most locksmith companies use various maneuvers and tricks to make their services appear cheaper than the actual price. In addition, some locksmiths charge a flat rate, keeping the day & night criteria aside, while others charge extra for visiting you after hours, at night, on weekends, and even in bad weather conditions.
- Whenever you decide to acquire a locksmith service, don’t hesitate to ask for a written estimate involving the total service cost of service that you want to take advantage of, both during the day & nighttime. If the locksmith you’re dealing with refuses to do so, then feel free to think twice before hiring them. If you’re too busy to call a locksmith company, try dropping them an email and see if they respond to your query.
- Even if someone agrees to provide you with a written estimate after checking the complexity of the job, don’t allow them to drill your lock straightaway before attempting some other approaches. Drilling the lock is always to be the last resort for competent locksmiths. A con-artist may ask you to pay around $230 for a new lock, which is way higher than its actual price. Always remember that a legitimate locksmith can get into just about any door, without unnecessarily drilling the lock or asking you to get it replaced, which could eventually cost you a great deal of money.
Next time you’re in a locksmith emergency, don’t fret. Check out this video before you hire a locksmith.
- Get a solid price quote over the phone beforehand.
- Be cautious if you are told upfront that the lock has to be drilled and replaced. Keep in mind that a competent locksmith can pick almost any lock.
- If you’ve come across a local locksmith servicing firm, all you need to do is – drop in to get their number and save it on your phone for future emergencies.
Get Your Locks Rekeyed By a Pro Locksmith
At Katz’s Lock & Keys, we don’t scam people out of money. Instead, we help them save when possible. Whatever price we agree on during the initial quotation is exactly what we’ll ask for when we’re done. We rarely rely on drilling the lock, unless it was broken before our arrival. Katz’s Lock & Keys is a legitimate and registered locksmith service provider that offers a full range of locksmith services for all security aspects, including keys, locks, monitor systems, master key systems and more.
Our trained and certified technicians are equipped with the latest equipment and technology systems to provide you with quick, friendly, and trustworthy 24*7 service. The best part of our service is that we stick to our quoted price, no matter what! Call us today for professional and hassle-free security solutions.